Subscribe to
Posts
Comments

Last week (16-17th February, 2011) I attended the developer conference, Dev8D. The focus of the event is to provide cost effective training for developers in Higher Education. The event is comprised of tutorials, workshops, lightning talks, panel sessions by experts or ‘gurus’ and challenges.

I gave a lightening talk on MyMobileBristol:

I also sat on a ‘guru session’ about the Mobile Web with Tim Fernando and Chris Northwood from Oxford’s Molly team. Molly is an excellent Python/Django based framework for creating information and service portals targeted at mobile devices. Due to a scheduling clash I arrived ten minutes late and the questions and panel discussions had moved from the ‘Mobile Web’ to Python appreciation. I had nothing to add since my current comfort zone is in the verbosity of Java (and Objective-C!). However, the discussion soon moved back to issues such as native applications vs. Mobile Web.

This year I entered one of the programming challenges. I created an iPhone application that displays some of the data in JISC’s PIMs API – a database that holds information about JISC-funded projects both past and present. I won! I was a little surprised since the other entries were very good, including Paul Walks HTML 5 application, PocketPIMs.

Here is a screen cast of my application:

Here is a photo of my certificate:

Victory is Ours!

I also won a £50 Amazon voucher … now spent. 🙂 As you can see, my colleague Damian Steer, also won one of the challenges.